Sunday, August 12, 2012

Lemon-Luscious Ice-Cream and Frozen Fruit Turnovers


I decided it was time to make some ice-cream before the summer passes me by. And on the day I buy an ice-cream maker, what do I find at the supermarket? Passion fruit! Yes, fresh passion fruit. Grown in Korea, too. Perfect for the passion fruit ice-cream recipe! I stood stunned and spellbound in the middle of the aisle for five minutes. Then I remembered that I had a dozen lemons steadily metamorphosing in my refrigerator; I know from experience that lemons turn greener than limes if left forgotten. The passion fruit would have to wait. Lemon-luscious is up next!


Everything needed for the ice-cream: egg yolks, sugar, cream, milk, lemon juice and zest, salt, butter, and, of course, the recipe. This should be relatively simple.


Making the lemon curd. Stirring and stirring until it reaches the consistency of hollandaise sauce (this would be more helpful if I’d ever had hollandaise sauce knowing that it’s hollandaise sauce).


The finger down the back of a spoon test – pass!


Mixing in the cream and milk.


And then the pre-ice-cream mixture was refrigerated overnight so that the flavors could mingle and mellow and “live up to their full potential.” I had a hunger crisis at around midnight, and was very tempted to make and gobble down some homemade ice-cream. I got through it by repeating “it’ll taste better tomorrow” like a mantra. I’m not entirely sure that it did… I suppose the scientific thing would’ve been to make half of it then and the other half in the morning and compare the results. But I wasn’t really think straight at that point.


My mini ice-cream maker whirling away. 


Done in ten minutes. The ice-cream was still very soft, so into the freezer until the turnovers are ready.


I made the turnovers with the leftover dough and apple filling (and one nectarine that I’d saved) from the open-faced apple pie. They were a real pain to make, requiring more patchwork than a quilt. But they seem to freeze marvelously! It would be great to make a whole bunch, freeze them, and bake a couple each day for breakfast – if ever I can work up the patience.


Apple (left) & nectarine (right) turnovers with a scoop of lemon-luscious ice-cream.


The ice-cream tasted exactly like the lemon curd in lemon pie, but with the texture of ice-cream. Yum!

4 comments:

  1. You have an ice cream maker?? You should have kids living with you, to make your cooking investments worthwhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all ready to be a top-notch aunt! (hint, hint, wink, wink)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crazy aunt who bakes pie all the time but never eats them? (I wouldn't mind having an aunt like that!) I'll probably live in a remote country for the rest of my career, so you'll have to learn to get a visa before you try to visit me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps I'll only visit when you're in the developed world...

    ReplyDelete