Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Raspberry Chiffon Pie

 Oh, what a glorious pie!

I’ve become quite a rare fruit hoarder. I saw this box of fresh raspberries at a nearby store (I’ve also formed a habit of walking into random stores to see what produce they have), and I just couldn’t pass them by. When will I ever see a whole box of raspberries again? (This logic has been proven false many times, but its urgency always seems very convincing at the moment.) It was actually relatively harder to get my hands on the frozen raspberries for the chiffon portion; I had to go to a few stores all around town before I finally found them. One thing I’ve noticed is that Korean raspberries are different from the American ones. They’re more texture-ful and rounded (adorning the top), whereas the American ones are more tart and elongated (in the chiffon). Interesting.



Ok, so this slice didn’t come out too neat. But it’s because the chiffon was airy-billowy and the raspberries very roll-y. The upside is that you can see the all natural bright pink – it’s almost neon! I have newfound fondness for the color.

The one thing about this pie is that it was a real pain to make, what with the raspberry base, whipped cream, and Italian meringue all made separately and then combined (not to mention the crust and berry topping). And I have found a new nemesis in Italian meringue. I don’t think I’ve ever made it properly. This time, the sugar wasn’t completely melted because I heated it too quickly. The pie still turned out fine. But, as I always tell myself, it can be better, and I will master this Italian meringue someday!



 Washing the raspberries… so pretty:)



2 comments:

  1. Didn't know raspberries produce neon pink color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The color was slightly enhanced by Instagram. Hehehe~ but it was still an astonishing shade of bright pink!

    ReplyDelete