Saturday, October 25, 2014

Roasted Red Pepper & Poblano Quiche and The Grand Canyon Pie

I spent two and a half glorious weeks in the US, I think for the first time since I started this project. And it reminded me all over again why this project is a challenge, and why it would hardly be one if I were living State side. Just five minutes from my sister's place was a Whole Foods, which had pretty much all the ingredients I needed to bake every pie in the book! And if it wasn't there, I could order it online and have it delivered within a few days. I heart America, if not for anything else, but for the shopping!


So, I got right down to it, targeting pies with "rare" ingredients.
Here: cheddar crust (so cheap!), red pepper, and poblanos (which I was considering growing...)


Using half-and-half for the first time, instead of making my own (=half milk, half cream)


Pies are so pretty right before going into the oven.


First home-cooked dinner: yummy!


And the Grand Canyon Pie


It was a many layered pie: 
Oreo cookie crust, rich chocolate ganache, fresh raspberries, and chocolate & almond whipped cream


Topped with chocolate meringue "boulders" (I think that's what makes it the "grand canyon" pie)


Each bite was chocolaty - creamy perfection!

* * *

And I made apple dumplings (again) and caramel apples with hand-picked apples.

It was a lovely, lovely trip, for many reasons, and a much needed vacation. 
I can't wait to be back again, not only for the baking opportunities, but for the familiar faces and places...:)



2 comments:

  1. You are welcome to come back any time, as long as you bake me a pie every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the pies you miss, not me, isn't it?
    Would love to visit... as long as you live near a Whole Foods;-)

    ReplyDelete