Thursday, November 8, 2012

Great Pumpkin Pie & Spicy Cheese Gougeres


Pumpkin pie: it’s time for an authentic autumn treat!


This called for a classic pie crust, packed with a thin layer of gingersnap-pecan crumbs (they’ll soak up the moisture and keep the crust perfectly crispy).


Pureed pumpkin, sugar, and spices, just awaiting the addition of some eggs, milk, and cream.

I bought one of those tiny Korean pumpkins at the supermarket and cooked it at a very low simmer for about an hour. I found them to be just the perfect amount for one pie. It’s a little more work than buying puree in a can, but totally worth the effort! The pumpkin was lustrous orange, rich, and flavorful (can’t get that in a can!), and you could really taste the freshness in the pie :)


Then, a mini-disaster.
The crust protector left a very noticeable ring around the edge, and, as if that wasn’t enough, I messed it up even more while taking it off. I literally groaned. Probably very audibly. My neighbors must think I’m strange.


What could I do but cover up the booboo with pastry leaves and pumpkin seed flowers?
It was a good save ;)  Perhaps if I hadn’t mentioned it, nobody would’ve known.


With a dollop of whipped mascarpone and cream and a piece of candied ginger – now that’s pure autumn sweetness!

*****

And the gougeres.

This was actually inspired by Beth Le Manach of KIN Community (= my new favorite Youtube channel). She put together a Fall French Menu and included gougeres as appetizers. Upon watching the video, I just had to make them.


Gougeres are basically cream puff pastry, minus the sweetness and cream, plus the savory and flavor. Not surprisingly, there was a recipe for gougeres in the Pie Bible, too. I debated whether to make Beth’s recipe or the Bible’s (yes, another supermarket debate), but decided to go with the latter because the ingredients were more affordable (i.e., gruyere vs. cheddar). This recipe called for sharp cheddar cheese, ham (I used bacon), and a dash of cayenne pepper. Erm, I guess it was an American interpretation of the French delicacy…


They look like boulders to Doe!


The pie and gougeres served as dessert and appetizers for a potluck dinner (girls’ night in)! We had yummy mussels in white wine, Italy-inspired salad, baguette and chips, about five different types of drinks… It also included friendly faces I hadn’t seen in years, a surprise engagement shower, a lot of catching up and a little bit of gossip, and a Woody Allen movie. Talk about a good time :)


The gougeres were good, too. Too bad I remembered the homemade crème fraiche only after most of them had been eaten! 

3 comments:

  1. Who did you meet up for the potluck? I can't tell from the pink shirt and elbow in the picture. And who got engaged?? Gotta catch up on the latest gossip! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I sent out an invitation to the potluck as well, I guess it got lost in the mail :)

    Jooey, the pictures really don't do the pies justice. Such craftswomanship! And sooo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem to be hinting at my picture-taking skills. haha~ One day, I'll get a better camera, take classes, and most importantly, get a nicer place with natural sunlight and everything... One day!

    ReplyDelete