Sunday, July 6, 2014

Brioche and Marginally Transferable Skills

Aside from fillo, which I can’t find anywhere across three continents, brioche is the last category of pastries that I’m tackling. You could even say that I was actively avoiding it. I mean, it’s so much like bread, I don’t really know why it’s in the book! But since I scoured Rome for brioche tins and even brought back bread flour, I thought I’d finally give it a go.



It took the better part of a Saturday to prepare the dough; so many steps requiring rising and refrigeration! Yes, when I bake on the weekend, I get up earlier than I do for work on weekdays. Labor of love… or obsession?

As I’ve said numerous times before, the skills acquired for specific sub-categories of baking seem to only be marginally non-transferable, at best. For all the pies I’ve baked, I have trouble making a simple cake! And for something as bready as brioche, I’m basically starting from square one again. For pie crust (and cake), you never over-mix because too much gluten is enemy number one for the perfect crisp (or fluff).  So to knead on purpose seems weird. And a little wrong.



Still, I managed somehow. The results weren’t as meltingly puffy and chewy as expected, but it was a pretty good first attempt. I was really just happy to have achieved some sort of bread-like texture! Maybe by the time I get through all the brioches in the book, I’ll get the hang of kneading and stuff.




Everything’s better with a drizzle of honey:)



No comments:

Post a Comment