Saturday, February 2, 2013

(Half-post on Crusts)

I finally got my oven back! Yay! Apparently, it was a blown fuse; I guess I really did overwork it a bit. Well, back to baking it is, albeit less intensely perhaps.

I decided that I needed to clear out stuff from my freezer because it was getting kinda hard to shut the door. Oy! And the biggest space-hogger? The bag of leftover scraps of crust, of course. I was actually waiting until I had a sampling of each variety of crust in the book, but who knows when that’ll be? So I thought a mid-term project wouldn’t be a bad idea.



Doe has been hibernating of late (i.e., I’d sorta forgotten about her). But I woke her up from her slumbers to help me do the evaluation.

And the winner is… the flaky cheddar cheese crust! Though more appropriate for savory dishes, the sharp cheese makes it just yummy yummy yummy! I could eat a whole crust sans pie;) And the runner up was the good ole basic flaky pie crust. As you know, basic is best. I found the other variations (sour cream, mascarpone, etc.) were more tender at the expense of flaky. And for me, flaky wins all.

The best part of the process was all the first bites. Teeheehee!



I made crust swirl cookies with the rest.



Cinnamon sugar crust swirls with a hot cup of coffee. Mmmmm.
I do think I’m becoming a hedonist.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting your oven back! Your mood seems to depend heavily on that oven. :)

    ReplyDelete