Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Kiwi Tart with Lime Curd


I love supermarkets. Lurrrrv them! How consumerist of me, I know. I should be declaring my allegiance to farmer’s markets and condemning those capitalist conglomerates. But to me, there’s nothing more exciting than strolling down aisle after aisle of produce and products. Particularly American supermarkets, with their seemingly infinite number of choices and possibilities… It’s all probably intimately tied to nostalgic childhood memories:) I remember my first time in an American supermarket after nearly a decade in Korea. I was so utterly excited, I made rounds and rounds scouring the place and soaking in everything, all the while thinking, “I could die here and I’d be happy.” Even so, I just ended up buying some peanut butter, jam, and bread. What can I say? I didn’t cook then. 

Korean supermarkets, for me, are more about the thrill of the find. Like when I find fresh blueberries from Chile, limes from America, and home-grown kiwi all at the same time. It’s like experiencing a solar eclipse! A celestial sign to make the kiwi-lime tart!



My friend asked me to make this tart way back in August when I first started the project, and I had it at the back of my mind until now. We’ve been friends a long time now, she and I; probably the oldest friend I have since she was my freshman year roommate. We’re not quite Chandler and Ross. Or Ted and Marshall. But we’ve kept in touch over the years. As I search over again for new living mates, I realize how lucky I’d been the first time! And as we chatted over coffee and tart, she told me that she’s getting a permanent roomie in the form of a hubby. It seems I get a wedding invitation every time I meet an old friend now. Is it strange that I’m more worried about my friends getting married than the pool of fish getting smaller? Who’ll be left to eat my pies?



The tartest one yet! >-<



No comments:

Post a Comment