Thursday, October 18, 2012

Deep-dish Blueberry/Cranberry Internet Pie


I realize I’ve only been making fruit pies lately. And here’s another one, the fruitiest of them all – a deep-dish pie with double (or triple?) the filling. Just look at it all ooze out! The only drawback was that I could only eat one piece!


The crust, both top and bottom, came out beautifully (= crispy). The only problem that I’m having is with the glaze. If I apply a layer, milk in this instance, the browning comes out patchy (the little flowers). If I don’t apply anything, the browning stops at a less enticing hue (around the edges). What to do? More experimentation, probably.

The filling was quite delectable! I wish I’d taken pictures of the luscious blueberries and cranberries macerating together because the pile of blue and red marbles were quite a sight. And the sheer amount that went in the pie – nearly a whole large bowl – would have astonished… and delighted.


The pie was for my former housemate, who’d recently gotten married and moved to an idyllic little city an appropriate distance from Seoul. I remember her as a perfect Stepford wife (minus the husband, of course), and I always felt a wee-bit guilty for not being very attentive around the house when we were living together. Her impeccable housekeeping skills are finally being appreciated properly, I think! She also had a very keen eye for décor and pretty things, like the dainty little pink flower-patterned dish in the first picture and the chic Villeroy & Boch wave café cup and saucer above. My mom had long coveted the latter, but never got around to buying it because it never went on sale. So when I saw it in my friend’s cabinet, I very nearly insisted on using it. (She saw the glint in my eyes and obliged before I could insist. Hehe.) And I must say, the pie and coffee tasted particularly scrumptious!

2 comments:

  1. I was about to ask which cafe you went to, but now I have my answer. :) It's quite strange to think that someone is more attentive about housekeeping than you are. kkkk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like this by default, but she was very purposeful!

    ReplyDelete