Monday, October 22, 2012

Persimmon Pie

My sister was quite the monkey when we were growing up – there wasn’t a tree she couldn’t climb. She said the secret was in her feet; she has unusually long toes, which she claims grip as well as fingers. (So weird.) The first tree she climbed was a persimmon tree, and I remember this because she picked one and it splattered on the ground. I thought it was just as well because, for all I knew, it was a gigantic poisonous pod. My dad, who came running because a neighborhood kid had wrongly reported that my sister was “suck,” told me it was a persimmon, edible and quite good, and stood awhile gaping, probably reminiscing about his own mischief-filled childhood and wondering how this Asian fruit tree had ended up in semi-urban Florida. For a long time after, however, I harbored a suspicion of persimmons, and it wasn’t until my late teens that I actually tried it for the first time (out of peer pressure and politeness, I think). The ripe bittersweet flavor wasn’t as horrible as I’d imagined it to be. Perhaps even good, objectively speaking. But for some reason, it never captured my taste buds, and I still approach the persimmon with skepticism… even to this day.

But pies must be made. Even with fruit arousing skepticism. And who knows? Maybe I might like it in dessert form, watered down with sugar, spices, and chewy chunks!


The crust was a gingersnap-walnut crumb crust. I realize that this looks like a strange gingersnaps ad. It was my first time working with the cookie and I was excited. Hehe. (Thanks again for the delivery, lil bro!)


The batter, mostly pureed Hachiya (mushy) persimmon, was very chunky and included diced Fuyu (firm) persimmons, golden raisins, walnuts, candied citrus peel, and candied ginger. What a nice medley of flavors and textures!


I couldn’t get candied ginger anywhere, so I made them myself. (David Lebovitz saves the day, once again!) The syrupy kind for the filling and the sugared ones for garnish.


It felt like autumn in my mouth :)

And it didn’t taste anything like persimmons! That may sound like a flop, but I’d call that a success. Yay! It’s recommended as an alternative to the pumpkin pie, but I’d say the only things they really have in common are the complementary spices and the color. I’d suggest this pie to people who like a variety of chewy bits in their dessert. As for me, the candied ginger garnish was the best part; I think it gave the pie the perfect pungent kick! 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for revealing my secret of having long toes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought the world should know about your "deformity." haha :D

    ReplyDelete