Sunday, August 25, 2013

Passionfruit – Nectarine Shortcakes with Angel Butter Biscuits

 Sunday brunch, some assembly needed :)



1. Angel butter biscuits
This is my second time making biscuits (I made butter biscuits about a year ago), and I decided to tackle the “angel” variety. It gets its name because you use both yeast and baking powder to achieve mile-high fluffiness. Ooh-la-la! I also added ginger to half the batter because I loved the ginger-peach-passionfruit combination.
                                                                                                                  
I think I over-mixed the batter because out of eight, this was the single biscuit that puffed up with pride. So, it got its own picture. Hehe~ The rest were still good, though a little dense in the middle. Must stop over-mixing (and over-doing things in general)!



 3. Passionfruit curd and nectarines
I made passionfruit curd with the leftover juice from the ice-cream. There is something glorious about passionfruit! I think it tastes like the sun. And the moon, too (the tartness). Or it’s simply the most exotic fruit I know and I’m attributing celestial qualities to it... Anyways, in ice-cream or curd form, passionfruit is just marvelous, especially paired with peaches and nectarines.



 3. Assembly
This part is pretty self-explanatory.


And I shared this with… myself. It was all for me. I have to say, it was objectively very good, and even the pictures came out beautifully, but I don’t think I enjoyed it as much. I actually cleaned up in between eating the two shortcakes. Food is only really good when you share it. Is it the affirmation (or sometimes disaffirmation)? Because without company, food is just about nourishment (how boring). Or indulgence (how guilt-inducing). Perhaps the next pie will have more luck!



5 comments:

  1. You did all this so you could eat it by yourself? kkkk

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was for the pictures;-)
    And I shared the leftovers with the office...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The biscuit looks so fluffy it reminds me more of a pastry!:) Nothing like a good biscuit.sigh Unni what do you think of swapping butter for olive oil? The refined kind so it doesn't taste / smell like olives. I'm realizing frequent bakes aren't helping my husband's waistline:p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heaeum! You're becoming quite the domestic goddess:) Love your Instagram updates. I don't know about substituting ingredients... I usually just eat less... What about healthy baking? I made kale chips awhile back and they were quite good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Eat less!" I will quote that directly to the husband.heehee I've been kind of out of it in terms of cooking these days (and only started baking a cake --today!). I'm quickly realizing there's nothing so discouraging as moving and having a messy kitchen, not knowing what's where and all:( Oh yes Kale is so in these days! I've only ever eaten them when dining out or adding it to the juice-maker but munching on it sounds much healthier. Kale it is:)

      Delete