Sunday, October 13, 2013

Apple Tatin

 A certain expectation accompanies the tackling of a classic.

A tatin is an upside-down pie where the caramelized fruit base is topped with a crust, and the whole thing is inverted right before serving. So, clockwise: a sugar and apple juice caramel; a pretty layering of apple slices; apples piled high, being cooked down; a topping of pastry dough, baked off in the oven.

I think the point of the tatin is to have beautifully caramelized filling with a beautifully crispy crust – the best of both worlds. Not to mention the beautiful patterning of the fruit. Yes, it’s supposed to be a very beautiful pie.



… And then turned upside down.

It didn’t come out quite as I’d expected (hoped may be a better word). I think in my enthusiasm to have super rich and caramelly apples, I may have over-cooked them a bit… And for some reason, the pretty pattern didn’t keep during the inversion process…



But it was still pretty good – I ate two slices before stopping myself. I can definitely see the allure of the tatin; it is the elegant French version of the homey American apple pie. I don’t know which one I prefer, though. I find delicate desserts more pleasing, but the heartier ones more satisfying. What a conundrum. I guess, in the end, like all things, it really depends on my mood!



2 comments:

  1. Haha. French delicacies.. This reminds me of the time we attempted a recipe from Julia Child's book for the first time..and ended up making probably the only English recipe in the book. Haha. Because it didn't require an oven. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. British dishes are heartier. How are enjoying Irish cuisine?

    ReplyDelete