Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Cranberry Chiffon Pie

I made this one just because – a “general purpose” pie, if you will. One of my housemates bought frozen cranberries thinking they were like dried cranberries. But when she found out you can’t really eat them as is (I tried one too; it’s like eating a lemon), she gave the bunch to me. What is one to do with a sudden windfall of cranberries? What a rhetorical question!



This is the only “procedure” shot I managed to take – applying the glaze at the very end. Hahaha. I always mean to take more pictures of “the process,” but I keep forgetting in all the hustle and bustle. And chiffon pies are probably the most complicated to make. Three components make up the filling alone: the flavored custard (which is actually made of two components: the fruit puree and the egg-based custard), the whipped cream, and the meringue. The three are made separately (one needs cooking, one needs chilling, and one needs thorough cleansing) and gently mixed together for intensely flavored, airy perfection. What you don’t get to see is the sweat, butter, and flour stains, not to mention the hurricane of dirty dishes, left behind. Everything wonderful has an equal and opposite awfulness hidden within. Let this picture stand for all that!



But glamour shots are prettier.
I just can’t stop myself from clicking away…



And it was very good.
I think I’m finally getting the hang of chiffon.
It was both firm and airy, flavorful and light!



I realized after the fact that I really don’t have any “general purposes.” Meaning that I ended up eating most of the pie myself, a piece each morning and night. The first few slices were really good, but even the best of things get boring and bland with repetition. What they say is really true… I don’t think I’ll try something so “general” again!

4 comments:

  1. Is the color supposed to be hot pink?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Instagram does heighten the coloring a bit, but it really was hot pink. All natural cranberry coloring:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha... I remember that disastrous attempt to color our macaroons with natural pigments.. We kept pouring in the powder but the meringue stubbornly remained pale purple like it was cold or something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! Something as delicate as macarons usually need food coloring..

    ReplyDelete