Wednesday, November 20, 2013

My Hundredth Pie: Baked Empanadas, Blackberry Pie, and Buttermilk Ice-Cream

I’ve just surpassed my 100th pie! This makes me about two-thirds done with the project.
For this momentous milestone, I made a blackberry pie and…



Empanadas in cheddar crust.
I got the stamp of approval from my friend and her hubby, who is from Colombia:) He said that empanadas are often fried, but they’re baked in places like Argentina. These “southern style” empanadas were gooood!



Blackberry pie with a scoop of buttermilk ice-cream.
This was my first time trying blackberry pie (perhaps trying blackberry, period). It was more tart than I expected, though less so than raspberry. And quite seed-ful, too. The buttermilk ice-cream was also definitely a first. Flavored with orange, it tasted like a citrus yogurt ice-cream. Quite a tart & tangy combo!



Buttermilk ice-cream and raspberry sauce is good too!
I think I may be developing a fondness for buttermilk…



Oh yes, with the extra buttermilk, I made biscuits again. 
This time I used a different recipe (Smitten Kitchen’s) and a scalloped biscuit cutter – to much better results.



And then I made a bacon-egg heart attack sandwich.
You bet it was good!


I sort of feel like I’m racing through the Pie Bible – and I don’t even bake everyday! A large part of the work is coordination (matching pies to people, scouting for and using up ingredients, etc.) and administration (organizing pictures, taking notes, blogging, etc.). And, of course, cleaning up. I think the actual baking accounts for less than a third of all the labor. But I guess that’s normal; it takes a huge amount of energy just too keep something afloat. So, here’s to chugging along at breakneck speed for the next 60 pies!



3 comments:

  1. The first picture looks like a badly-made pizza. Is it supposed to look that way? kkkkkk Good luck with the next 60 pies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you think pies look like pizzas? Let's call it a rustic look.. It's hard to get the baking time right when you're working with frozen fruit... Those fresh berries in Bangkok are going to haunt me..!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of your pies really look like pizza.....

    ReplyDelete