Thursday, November 7, 2013

Touch-of-Grace Biscuits: A Buttermilk Dinner

I made buttermilk awhile back. I know there’s the ole vinegar and milk method that’s quite popular as a quick substitute, but I got a hold of the real enzymes. *Grin* Time to make some Southern dishes! I made buttermilk “touch-of-grace” biscuits and buttermilk baked chicken.



Contrary to what it sounds like, buttermilk is not buttery, but a little yogurty. The acid in buttermilk is a wonderful tenderizer, so it’s often used on chicken to bring it to maximum succulence. Let’s put it this way, chicken breast tastes like drumstick after a buttermilk bath.

I set the chicken overnight in a buttermilk marinade of onion, garlic, thyme, and hot sauce, and then baked it with a parmesan, bread crumb coating.



Succulent, spicy, herb-ful, crunchy, cheesy…
I’ll let you imagine what it tasted like:)



Unfortunately, there was nothing “graceful” about the biscuits. That’s actually an understatement because they were probably my biggest flop to date! They came out very dense and doughy instead of fluffy and soft. I’d followed the recipe religiously, as I always do, but I must have done something very wrong. I just don’t know what… It’s at times like these, when I try my hand at a new sub-genre like puff pastry or biscuits, that I remember what it was like to be a newbie. And I’m reminded that I still have a long ways to go!

When something turns out poorly, I have the unignorable urge to improve. Immediately, if possible! This pursuit of perfect is going to do me in one day… And it would also prevent me from ever finishing the project. So I have a mental list of the dismal flops I want to give another chance once the project is over:

1. Shoofly Pie – The crust burst and all the spice-juices oozed out. The filling was bready when it should have been texturefully moist!
2. Fig Tart with Mascarpone Cream – I bought figs too early in the season and they were unripe and massively disappointing:(
3. Boulders Tart – This luxurious tart was ruined by burnt caramel made with something that’s not corn syrup. (Luckily, Gateau Engadine turned out better when I did a mini repeat:)
4. Éclairs – A real Christmas disappointment, if there ever was one.
5. Perfect Peach Pie – There was nothing perfect about this overbaked pie.

Hmmm… It seems I’ve figured out what I did wrong on each pie. Perhaps the mystery of the ruined biscuits will solve itself with time!



5 comments:

  1. Wrong flour maybe? in the South there's a strong preference for low-protein flour for biscuits (eg White Lily)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buttermilk is everywhere in Ireland. I bought a whole carton mistakenly thinking it could be a substitute for milk in my morning diet (cereal and milk)...And boy was I wrong... That was the most disgusting bowl of cereal I had ever tasted. (And no I didn't finish it after the first spoon).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You keep a record of your top failures? You really approach this as a science experiment, don't you? kkkk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I've heard a lot about this "White Lily." I approximated with a combination of flours and baking powder... Perhaps it was just too much approximation?

    Hahaha! You're quite an adventurous eater, Jju. Perhaps you too were tricked by the name? You feel like you should get rich, creamy, *buttery* milk. But buttermilk is the acidic liquid that's left over from churning cream into butter.

    I just have a mental list of the ones that were really really good or disappointing so that I can do them over again when the project is over. (Again, I suppose I'm tending toward the extremes...)

    ReplyDelete