Sunday, September 23, 2012

Apple Dumplings


I had 3 apples leftover from the apple crumb pie – not nearly enough to make a pie or tart. So I thought the dumplings would be a good way to use them up! (As you can see, most of my baking decisions are dictated by the need to dispose of ingredients leftover from previous recipes.) I thought I’d get a good batch of dumplings, like the rugelachs, but was surprised to find out the apples were the dumplings. One apple a dumpling. Or one dumpling an apple.

I dug out the center with a melon baller. Apple seeds are quite pretty this way!


 The center was filled with stuffing (butter and sugar, really) and topped with walnuts.


And then wrapped with a cream cheese dough to approximate the apple’s original form. You may notice a whole apple has gone missing in the process.

I got hungry and ate it.

Just kidding. Why would I would eat something fresh when I can eat it baked, drenched in sugar, swathed in butter? Well, really, I was a little stingy with the dough and didn’t make enough to wrap 3 (ah, so lame).


Peek-a-boo!


The third apple. This one was just for me. What a treat to wake up to on a Saturday morning! (Well, somewhat less of a treat, since I had to make the dough and shape dumpling in the morning, and it was afternoon by the time I could eat it…) 

I think the dumplings came out quite nicely:) They could have used more nuts, or a bulkier filling (maybe the crumbs?), but, on the whole, de-lish! Like a gift-wrapped apple pie. I think they have the potential to be impressive crowd-pleasers!


5 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I like everything with walnuts (and peacans even more). Trying to pick which ones to demand from you the next time I go to Seoul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minmin, I can vouch for their taste! You can't go wrong with anything you choose from this blog. I think Jooey's Doe agrees with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um.. You're going to have to choose from the ones that I haven't made yet. (This is why you should visit sooner than later!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So this blog is about all the wonderful pies I won't be able to have??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup! Don't worry, I'm making my way through the easy ones first. Fancier ones are upcoming....

    ReplyDelete