Sunday, September 30, 2012

Currant & Lemon Poppy Seed Scones … And … Butter Biscuits & Blueberry - Lemon Shortcakes


I thought it would be lovely to wake up to a hot breakfast. So, I watched a few youtube videos on scone-making (visual aid is a must for first attempts), measured out all the ingredients, and set things up just so before going to bed. I expected to easily and quickly make the dough, pop it in the oven, and then devour the lot, all while the morning birds chirped outside. Hehehe.

Of course, it was a much more fuss-filled activity than originally planned. I think I managed to get dough fingerprints on every single item and surface in my kitchen (for just 4 scones!). And it was way past lunch time when I got around to any of the devouring. In short, I was once again deceived by the how-to videos. I don’t see how you can “just” mix the ingredients, then seconds later have smooth, plump dough, and minutes after that, a batch of uniform scones rising invitingly in the oven. Mine were rather sticky, and took quite a bit of coaxing, re-refrigerating, and prodding to get them be scone-like…


The flavor agents: red currants and lemon zest/poppy seeds. I found these adorable red currants, frozen and imported from France, in an underground (literally) shop near Itaewon. And I just love poppy seeds. Well, pretty much any tiny, edible seed (I don’t even mind having them stuck in my teeth – digging them out’s the fun part).


 I’m actually not the biggest fan of scones; they feel too one-dimensionally carb-y to delight in my opinion. But then again, I’ve only ever had the god-knows-how-they’re-made-and-how-old-they-are scones sold at franchise coffee shops. The made-from-scratch-and-straight-outta-the-oven ones were… satisfying. They were dense and filling in a more buttery sort of way – really hit the mark (a mark, anyway). My opinion of scones just went up a couple of notches!

Doe is not afraid to get in the middle of things.


 Yes, I do drink milk from a wine glass.
Everything tastes better in a wine glass.


**********


 Some days later, I decided to attempt a hot breakfast again. This time, butter biscuits-cum-shortcakes! I got up at the crack of dawn to get in line to get into Costco (holiday madness!), got back home before morning rush hour, and had my biscuits in the oven with a minimum of fuss. Perhaps I’m improving.


Breakfast is served!


I have to say, I liked the biscuits better than the scones. But more so because of the filling – blueberries and lemon yogurt cream. The lemon cream, especially, was exceptional. I’m gonna wanna dip all future biscuits into that! 

This hot breakfast thing might be growing one me…:)

2 comments: