Saturday, September 22, 2012

Un-Rugelach Mini Turnovers


What are rugelachs? No idea, never heard of them. I just wanted a chance to use my apricot jam, and a quick kindle scan of the recipes suggested this mystery treat. According to Wikipedia, it is a Jewish/Eastern European pastry made of dried fruit, nuts, and fruit preserves, rolled into little crescent shapes (rugelach means “rolled,” thus the “un”-rugelachs). This definition was only slightly more illuminating than the accompanying pictures, and did not make the endeavor seem especially promising…


 This particular recipe called for soft cream cheese dough, filled with apricot jam/preserves/ lekvar, walnuts, cinnamon-sugar, and golden raisins (I’ve decided I rather like the golden variety of the dried fruit).


 This was all to test out my homemade apricot jam. Last month when I was making the apricot pie, I lost a lot of fruit to premature mushiness. I remember my heart sinking, all the way down to my stomach. Well, I made apricot jam with the casualties! I used David Lebovitz’s recipe and instructions, and it turned out quite well. At least I think it did. I administered the “nudge test” a couple of times, but wasn’t really sure what I was looking for. So I continued boiling and boiling and boiling some more… until my jam reached the consistency of toffee, at which point I realized I’d gone a little too far with the boiling. But it still tastes good. And the thickness adds chewiness, texture, and body to the pastry (I’d like to think!).


Doe examining my work.

Making the rugelachs was almost like making songpyun, except it required much more dedicated, delicate application because the dough was quite fragile. Using plastic wrap helped enormously to shape them into more or less pleasing half-moons without having everything stick to my fingers. I wonder how they ever made anything long time ago, without the assistance of modern amenities (which I find so helpful… and necessary). Like, how would you keep the dough cold without a refrigerator? Only make pies in the winter? And do it outside in nature’s freezer? I read somewhere that, before the invention of electricity, they used to beat egg whites for up to 3 hours to make meringue for a cake. I wonder, who was the person who came up with that idea? How – why – do you keep beating eggs for that long? All I can sense in that is some sort of human urge to create… which makes me gasp, both in shock and awe. Whatever the case, I’m really glad someone had the perseverance to concoct such recipes and hand it down as part of our (global) cultural inheritance, and even more glad that I have the benefit of utilizing modern technology.


 And the result? One of the best things I’ve ever eaten! As much as I like sweets, I rarely go ga-ga over anything (it is just not in my nature). But these rugelach turnovers were gooey (apricot), crunchy (walnuts), crispy (crust) little explosions in my mouth! Especially still a little warm out of the oven, they are to die for. I could keep eating them until I get diabetes. It was so strange and unexpected because they look like little dessert dumplings; so unassuming, and not particularly appealing. If they were in a buffet, I would’ve passed them up for a more impressive looking cake or tart that I’ve tasted a million times before. The lesson? Never judge a pie by its crust? Never judge a pie until you’ve had a bite? Sample different pies? Just eat more pie!

Doe wishes she were a real deer so she can try some herself;)

2 comments:

  1. This *was* really good. Maybe I'll do a repeat for this one. If I still have any apricot jam leftover when you visit!

    ReplyDelete